Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reviewing the Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin

I have to start this review by saying that I have long, very thick straight hair and I am extremely hairstyle challenged.  Until recently I have had the same hairstyle since the early 90's....I'll let you do the math.........

Now, on with the review for the Goody Simply Styles Spin Pin:


I'll be honest, I saw these and had no idea how these were going to work or if they would even work for my hair because I have SO MUCH hair.  All I can say is WOW, these little pins are awesome!  As you can see the package comes with two of the pins, but also included are instructions, which if you are hairstyle challenged like me, are a great addition.  They show you three different styles you can try: The Soft Spin, the Side Soft Spin and the Double Spin:


The instructions are pretty straightforward once your realize that one end of the pin is open and the other is closed like so:



Which I'm embarrassed to admit, I didn't.  Oh sure, it seems obvious to you doesn't it?  I guess I just didn't pay that much attention and the first couple of times I attempted I was just spinning the thing in my hair and not paying attention to how it went in.  It would hold the hair at first, but would quickly begin to lose hold with any movement.  Once I realized the correct end to start with, that made all the difference!  I read the instructions, which by the way don't mention the open end(again obvious once you realize...DUH),  and gave it a shot.  Now, mind you, I have very fine hair as well as thick hair, so most things don't hold my hair very well, for very long.   The first thing you do is gather your hair into a ponytail, without using a ponytail holder, and twist your hair into a bun, tucking in the loose ends when you are done.  As you hold your bun with one hand, you take the other, grab a pin and "spin" it clockwise into the top of the bun, then grab the other pin and "spin" it clockwise into the bottom of the bun, careful not to entangle the two pins and if done correctly it will hold your bun in place like so:
 


This is the back view and I did this without a mirror and no prior experience in making buns!  As you can tell I have a lot of hair, but it is holding.




This is the side view, looks alot nicer from this view and not near as big, but it's the same bun.  Now I've had the bun in my hair now for about 30 minutes and it's still holding, although I can tell some of it is starting to come loose and it wouldn't stand up to a lot of movement.  I don't blame the pins though, I blame my lack of experience and the amount of hair I have.  I will say that even with all my hair pulled back it doesn't feel heavy like it would if I had used a ponytail holder and bobby pins.  There's no tugging or pulling that would cause a headache either.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to do a full bun like this with just the two pins and have it stay, I would definitely have to practice more, but I might need a third or possibly a bobby pin or two.  But I'm not a fan of buns anyways, so I don't count this against it.....at least for me.  To remove the pins you just spin the pins counterclockwise, that's it.

I didn't try the Double Spin look, but I did try a Single Spin look with just the top part of my hair and the pins worked fantastic and held all day long!  Definitely something I will continue to do:


I'm curious to try these with slightly damp hair to see if you can get a slight wave in your hair from wearing them all day.  I really do love these pins.  Easy to put in and easy to take out.....clockwise in, counterclockwise out. They don't get tangled in your hair, at least not for me.  I definitely recommend these to anyone who pulls their hair back.


Out of 4 stars I give the pins 4 (I would give more if I could!)



*DISCLAIMER: PRODUCT RECEIVED FOR FREE FROM INFLUENSTER FOR TESTING AND REVIEW*


4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try this, and I'm hair style challenged too, I'm stuck in the 80's hairdo's lol, my hair is thin and fine, and after reading this awesome review, I think I will purchase me some!! Thanks for the GREAT review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. I really did love these and will probably get another set to keep around for spares! :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review Bev. My daughter is constantly putting her hair up in a bun and it is always falling down. I think these will be great for her stocking this year. Score!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would be a great stocking stuffer, if only I had girls! Hope she likes them as much as I did!

      Delete