Labels

Saturday, January 25, 2020

A New Chapter Pt 1

For the past 2 1/2 years my husband and I have been the full-time caregivers for his parents, with some help from our youngest son, especially in the first year.  May 16th of 2019 my husband's father passed, leaving us only his mother to take care of.  That in of itself would seem like a lightened load, but in reality, the burden didn't change.   My husband's father pretty much took care of himself, only needing help getting to an occasional doctor appointment since the discovery of prostate cancer in December of 2018. 

He had his first seizure sometime around March of 2019,which was something I had never witnessed before.  I still remember that night, as my husband was gone for a meeting.  I never wanted to go through something like again, I wouldn't get my wish.  My father-in-law recovered quickly and was back home in a couple of days, with no diagnosis as to what caused it and life went back to normal, albeit maybe a little slower for my husband's father.  He had always been a resilient man, a tough cookie.  Until recently, never sick a day in his life and except for the new pills for the prostate, on no medication.  Which for an 86 year old man is pretty unheard of!!

My father-in-law had his second seizure on the afternoon of Wednesday, May 15th. Thankfully we were all home, but it wouldn't have mattered.  My husband followed him to the hospital while I stayed home with my mother-in-law and our son.  This time he wasn't waking up, so I loaded up the group and we headed to the hospital to say our goodbyes.  I still choke up just thinking about it.  He was a great man with a big heart and we miss him still, but have only happy thoughts and memories.(That was until I sat down to write this and relived that day again.)

My husband and I were supposed to go on a group trip to Israel.  We would have left May 14th and not been back for over 10 days.  After the first seizure I didn't have peace about going on that trip.  We would have put my husband's mom in some place of care as she had special needs that our son wouldn't be able to handle by himself, but had planned nothing for his father because again, he was pretty much taking care of himself.  I told my husband that we needed to cancel our trip and forfeit our deposit......$300/ea.  He wasn't so sure, but after some discussion he trusted my instinct and the trip was off.  Which turned out to be divine intervention.

If it weren't for God's intervention(and I do believe He spoke to me back in March about this), we would have just landed in Israel when that seizure hit and would have been on a plane when he passed.  Our son, who was 20 at that time, would have been alone when it all happened and while he would have dialed 911 just like we did, he would have been lost after that.  Sure there are people(my mother, our son and daughter-in-law) that he could have called, but none of them would have been able to help him right then.  And that is not something I wanted to happen and whether my husband wanted to admit it or not(but he did, LOL) he didn't want to be that far away if something did happen to his father and neither did I.

So on the morning of Thursday, May 16th Carl Warembourg, at the age of 87, passed peacefully in his sleep and went home to be with Jesus.

And then there was 1.............(cont.)

No comments:

Post a Comment