Labels

Saturday, January 25, 2020

A New Chapter, Pt 3

The previous two posts were about the passing of my in-laws, who we had been taking care of for the last 2 1/2 years, which brings me to the real purpose of this blog writing.

What Next??

It's been a little over 8 months since my father-in-law passed and just over a week for my mother-in-law's passing.  We've slowly been going through all the stuff that needs to get gone through, sorting out that which is a keeper, a toss, or a donation.  Even with what little they brought, or so we thought, there is still a lot to go through.  We still have two memorials to plan for my mother-n-law.  One here in Arizona, and another in Colorado.

But I digress, that's not the reason for this post.

You see, my husband and I celebrated our 24th anniversary back in November, so we are well on our way to the 25th.  I came into this marriage with a 3 year old son from a previous marriage, we dated when my son was 2.  So since the first day of our relationship we've always had to think about someone else whenever we wanted to do anything.  There has never been a time when we could just leave on a whim, or stay out all day(and night) without having some sort of plan or arrangement.

This realization hit me the other day when we were out running some errands together.  I realized we didn't need to check in or check on anybody, we could do whatever we wanted.....within reason, I do still have a job. LOL   And I said as much to my husband and I even said as much on Facebook.  Of course the friends with grown kids compared it "empty nest", but I really don't think that is the same.  Sure it is to some degree, but it goes even deeper than that. 

As kids grow up they become more independent(usually) and begin to spend less time at home and more time away, so there is to some degree a weaning period, a gradualness to it.  With this, there was no gradual.  One day it was like being chained up with no freedom and then suddenly the chain was gone, not broken.....but gone.

It's an odd feeling and one I'm still getting used to.  It's also one I am going to try and enjoy while I can because we are never promised tomorrow and we don't know what tomorrow will bring.  I should also say at this point that our youngest(now 21) does still live at home and has impeccable timing.  You see, just as I got done telling my husband about my realization, we both got a text from him.....asking where we were and if it involved dinner!  Kids!!!  They always know how to keep us grounded.

So, here's to a new chapter.  I'm excited to see what there is in store for me, my husband, and our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment