Labels

Friday, April 13, 2018

Don't sweat the small stuff

Being a caregiver is not an easy job.   Being a caregiver to a parent is even harder.  The child becomes the parent, but the parent still wants to be the parent.   It's a fine line to walk while still trying to give them the respect they deserve as your elder. 

It's a constant struggle and one that, if you're not careful can take a toll.   You learn to pick your battles and if you're smart you try to avoid the unimportant ones as much as possible.

Case in point......we had fajitas this evening.  I love fajitas, especially when the hubby makes them....he really is a good cook.  Anyway......  I took a fajita to my mother-in-law with her side of sour cream and guacamole and was getting ready to go up and eat mine when she suddenly decided I needed to cut it up for her.  Now mind you, I have NEVER cut it up for her before and expressed my surprise that she wanted it cut up this time to which she adamantly said that I always cut it up for her.

Now I had two options, continue to argue with her raising both our blood pressures, or move on.  I really wanted to argue, to be right.....but taking a deep breath I instead, conceded the point and said I wasn't going to argue......and never one to let someone else have the last word, she curtly said she wasn't going to either. 

This has now become my life, when to enter the battlefield (Yes, you do need to wear your oxygen if you still want to live) and when to just sit on the sidelines (Yes, you really were asleep and not just resting your eyes).  I don't always make the right choice, but I'm getting better at spotting them. 

Side note:  Just because you decide to sit on the sidelines doesn't mean you won't get frustrated in doing so.   The sooner you can let the small stuff go, the happier you'll be....trust me!  Now, if only I can follow my own advice.


No comments:

Post a Comment