Labels

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

This is my life - Part 2

The year was 2015.  My youngest graduated from high school in May and my oldest graduated from college in December.  My mother moved out sometime in between.  Oh, and we got a dog....Gidget.
 Isn't she a cutie!!

This was also the year I went back to work for the first time in almost 20 years!  I never graduated from college, and unlike most people, really have no desire to go back for a degree.   Mostly, I just wanted to get out of the house.  I didn't need to work, but I wanted to.  My only problem was I had no idea even where to begin.  I wanted to be a receptionist, but everything I applied for wanted experience in programs I knew nothing about.  I started thinking about taking some classes so that I could add it to my sparse resume.  Instead, I got a job as a cashier at a local grocery store.  I didn't mind it, but standing on my feet all day was killer!  I enjoyed all the people and actually being able to interact with them.

About two months into that job someone told me about an opening at a local office for the front desk.  I thought what the heck I would apply.  After two interviews, I got the job!  I was going to be working at the front desk!  I started Thanksgiving week of that year.  

Oh, I almost forgot, this was also the year I colored my hair for the first time in my life.  I didn't really color it, but got highlights, lots of highlights, and I loved them!  I wished I had the courage to do it earlier!  But better late than never!

Fast forward to 2017.  Things began to change once again.   My oldest moved out, got engaged and then married all before the year was even over.  My youngest was still trying to figure out who he was and what he wanted to do with his life, in fact he still is.  My mother, bless her heart moved two times, into what we hope will be the last place for awhile.  Which brings us to the latest chapter in this ever changing thing called life.

In July 2017, my husband(and his brother) and I began the process of moving his parents out here to live with us for health reasons and once again I was thrust into the role of caregiver.  Only this time, I was the main caregiver, unlike the last time when my mother was and I was just the helper.   It's amazing what time does to a person's memory.   I had actually thought I did more than I did last time, when in reality I was more just an observer there to help as needed.   This time, it was my mother-in-law who needed the help as she is diabetic and not very mobile, so the caregiving fell to me by default as the lone female in the house.  Well, except the dog, but I don't think she would be much help.

My youngest has been a big help as he is home while hubby and I are at work.   I know that is a big part of what is keeping him from moving on and it pains me.  We, the hubby and I, are constantly telling him to "save himself" and get a job to get out of the house.   While grandpa may drive him crazy, he has a soft heart when it comes to his grandma and wants to help, but he can only do so much and as we've told him, it is not his burden or responsibility to carry.  I just pray he can find the strength to let go and get on with his life.

So....this is my life.  I work outside the home and when I'm not working, I am taking care of my mother-in-law.  Which is why I've decided to start blogging again.   As I found out when I was just the helper, sometimes you just need to vent.  And as I found out from my friend Nancy and her blog, there may be others out there that need to know they are not alone.  That being a caretaker to your parent(s), or in-laws for that matter, is not all roses and smiles.    There will be good times and there will be bad times, but the key is to dwell in the good and brush off the bad.  And I hope through this blog I can do just that.



No comments:

Post a Comment